Friday 22 August 2008

Ooooooo 2 days in a row :)

I only did a bit of an update yesterday, but here I am again adding more.

Always impatient (well nearly always) to get things moving, as it was at least not raining this morning I wanted to do some sowing. Perhaps it's not really the right time for some of these, but if I succeed then I'll be well pleased. If I don't succeed, then I'll know for certain that I was wrong, and as I've only sowed a few of each, I've still got some left for when the right time comes around.

I've put some Rhubarb Chard and White Chard into single modules, 1 in each as the seeds (of which I understand are really capsules containing more than 1 seed) are quite large. I've been told by my optician that to slow down the progress of Macular Degeneration that I should eat more dark green leafy veg, so I've got some Scarlet Kale and sprinkled a few pinches of seeds in some bigger modules. OK I know it says Scarlet and not dark green, but it's still Kale! I've never tried it before, so I don't know if I'll like it or not. If I don't then the chooks are in for another treat.

I've been dying to grow some mahoosive onions and someone once said that if you can grow good onions from seed, then you're truly a gardener. So a good pinch of Ailsa Craig has gone into a seed tray. These will be nurtured as well as my babies were :) I've also sowed some red onions and some White Lisbon. Fingers crossed for a reasonable crop.

The cover of the mini greenhouse has been off for the summer and now we're getting these horrible torrential downpours, I thought it'd be a good idea to put the cover back. I found lots of nice fat juicy snails for the girls when I got it out. So that's now ready and housing my precious soon-to-be seedlings.

Chickens are behaving themselves again and giving me about 6 eggs a day. Hazel was grumbling this morning though, the make-shift mini gazebo I'd created for them to shelter under and to keep their food dry collapsed under the weight of the water that had collected on the top. Maybe someone will take pity on me and make a more permanent shelter attached to the shed. It only needs to be a sort of low-down lean-to with a sloping roof so the rain can go into a bucket. Maybe I'll do that in the next week or so if the weather's not too bad again.

I'm getting a greenhouse tomorrow. Given to be through a friend-of-a-friend who turns out to be one of my old bosses about 30 years ago. Son-in-law Andrew, grandson Christopher, Milly's boyfriend and some of his friends are all going to help dismantle it and bring it to my garden. It's going to be "fun" assembling it all again isn't it :). Reminder to self - take a marker pen to mark where all the pieces fit together!!

No comments: